Thursday 9 October 2008

Ne me quitte pas


Jacques Brel died 30 years ago today. He was born in Brussels and died in Paris. He is buried alongside Paul Gauguin on the island of Hiva Oa in the Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia.

He sang about Brussels. He invented the verb " brusseler ".
He sang about Belgium. "Le plat pays qui est le mien".
He sang about it's people. "Les Flamandes dansent sans rien dire ..."
In his song "Ne me quitte pas", these lines spring to mind:
"Laisse-moi devenir
L'ombre de ton ombre
L'ombre de ta main
L'ombre de ton chien
Ne me quitte pas ......."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Rest in peace.

jmb said...

A truly great songwriter/singer. I shall have to look for some CDs as all my vinyl records are long gone.

Whispering Walls said...

Nous l'adorons

James Higham said...

Don't see any dogs in here, Eurodog. Did I miss something?

Eurodog said...

James,
L'ombre de ton chien....