Thursday 31 May 2007

Smoke gets in your eyes


Today is World No Tobacco Day.

An estimated 650 million people on this planet smoke and half of those will die as a result of smoking. Equally alarming is the fact that hundreds of thousands of people who have never smoked die each year from diseases caused by breathing second-hand tobacco smoke which is aka passive smoking, involuntary smoking, exposure to environmental tobacco smoke or ETS exposure. Call it what you like, it aint good for you nor for your dog. I read the story of Winston, a Yorkshire Terrier, who made a recovery from long-term chest problems after his owner gave up a forty year old habit. What about all the others we do not hear about? We read and hear about the effects of passive smoking on us humans but rarely do we hear about the effects on pets. However, studies on animals show that they are as much affected by exposure to tobacco smoke as we are and that it is as carcinogenic to them as it is to us.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Englands pubs will soon be smoke free! Finally, because I hate smoke.What is the situation in public areas in Belgium?
Did you hear about this artist "eating a corgi"? Have a look at my blog...
Wet licks from Flori

Eurodog said...

In Belgium there is no smoking in public places and this includes restaurants. So now the safest place to be is inside.
The club house at my dog club has been smoke free for some time now. It has made a huge difference to us all, I am sure.

Whispering Walls said...

But do they suffer from withdrawal symptoms when their owners give up?

jmb said...

Well you learn something every day. I have never thought about this but of course why wouldn't it be true for dogs as well as humans. Luckily none of my dogs were ever exposed since none of us ever smoked.
I'm glad to hear that Europe is finally catching up to North America in the non smoking laws.

Whispering Walls said...

Could you let me know the size, colour and style she's looking for?

Flowerpot said...

A very good point - not one that had occurred to me as we don't usually take our dog t the pub. But as an ex-smoker I can't wait for the smoking ban!

Flowerpot

Anonymous said...

That's interesting, I never realised animals could suffer in this way from passive smoking. It must happen to cats too, I guess.

Eurodog said...

ellee,
yes, it does apply to cats too.

Eurodog said...

flowerpot,
thank you for visiting.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Great and timely post, eurodog. I am asthmatic and my Mum was convinced that it was because everyone around me smoked during my childhood. That's a good point you make about pets being harmed by it - I bet loads of Brits would instantly give up if they realised this. In the Ital press today there have been reports that Italians are smoking more than ever!

Unknown said...

Yes, smoking has an effect on our pets, especially pet birds who have a more delicate and efficient respiratory system. Many animals in the care of owners who smoke show symptoms of respiratory problems and they also can ingest toxins that are on their fur when they groom themselves. Smoking leaves a residue in the air that clings to fabric and fur!

Cornish Dreamer said...

I admit that I have never thought about smoking affecting animals as well as humans...perhaps the narrow perspective us humans quite often suffer from!
Perhaps, if this was something more widely known, people looking for more of a reason to give up: would.

Anonymous said...

Mutley has started smoking a pipe or he rolls his own... thats how adaptable our animals are.