Monday 8 February 2010

Got it!

See my previous post. Here is what I discovered after some research:

Richard Barnes is an American photographer who divides his time between commissioned photography and personal projects. While his commissioned work often looks at the way we inhabit and represent the built environment, many of his personal projects, most notably a series of photographs called "Animal Logic," look critically at both the natural world and the ways in which we attempt to institutionalize and classify nature within the museum.

The journalist, Rosecrans Baldwin, interviewed him when his book by the same name, Animal Logic, was published and asked him the following question:
“What drew you to natural history museums as a subject?”
Richard Barnes answered: “I have been interested in museums and especially natural history museums for a long time. The photographs from Animal Logic have their genesis in my time working as the excavation photographer for the University of Pennsylvania/Yale University excavations at Abydos, Egypt. After a couple of field seasons in Egypt, I became interested in where the artefacts we were extracting from the ground were ultimately interred. I began photographing in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, concentrating on a small section of the museum dedicated to animal mummies. This led me to working specifically with collections in natural history museums, the first of which was the California Academy of Science in San Francisco, followed by many more museums throughout the world. I often seek out museums under renovation where the collection is often either being put into deep storage or is in a state of transition.”

1 comment:

Whispering Walls said...

I wonder if those mummefied dogs will ever be cloned?