Tuesday 9 June 2009

Czech dog



“If dogs could talk, perhaps we’d find it just as hard to get along with them as we do people”, writes Karel Capek, a noted Czech literary figure of the 1920’s and 1930’s. He was a novelist, a playwright, an essayist, a journalist, a writer of philosophical essays, a travel writer and he wrote a book entitled "Dášenka cili život štenete" or The life of a Puppy, the biography of Dasenka, his Jack Russell terrier.
Interestingly enough he invented the word “robot” meaning a non-human intelligent being. The word is derived from the Czech verb “robotovat” meaning “to work” and in his science-fiction books such as R.U.R. (Rossum’s Universal Robot) he addresses the aspects of mass production, atomic weapons and non-human intelligent beings long before this kind of genre was officially established. Because of his outspoken and provocative writing, he was on the Gestapo “most wanted list” and even though he was offered an exile in England, he turned this life-saving opportunity down and chose to remain in his country. Shortly after a part of Bohemia was annexed to the Third Reich, Capek died on Christmas day 1938 of pneumonia at the age of 48.

I do not agree with his quote because I fundamentally believe dogs are nicer than people.

3 comments:

Kasha said...

Hello there! Can I tell you how excited I am to stumble upon this amazing blog! I have a Boerboel and love to blog about our experiences training and raising her, but I find that it is me that needs most of the training. I would love for you to stop by and meet my Africa when you can. I am adding you to my blogroll so can I can keep in touch. I would appreciate it and feel honored if my humble blog was added to this great blog. Thank you so much!
Kasha
http://www.trainingboerboels.blogspot.com/

Eurodog said...

Welcome to my blog.
Yes, I will add your blog to my favourites so that I can visit more easily.
I have never seen a boerboel and had never heard of it.
Also visited your food blog. We seem to have two things in common: dogs and food.

Whispering Walls said...

Do you think dogs are nicer because they've been civilised by their owners or do you think wild dogs are also nicer?