Monday 24 March 2008

Daily prayers


Attendance at a Buddhist temple in Japan has increased since the temple's pet has joined in the daily prayers.
Conan, a two-year-old Chihuahua, sits on his hind legs and joins in daily prayers by raising his paws and putting them together at the tip of his nose.
"He may be showing his thanks for treats and walks," says a priest at Jigenin temple on Okinawa island, Japan.
Priest Joei Yoshikuni would like Conan to meditate, but "it's not like we can make him cross his legs", he says.
"Basically, I am just trying to get him to sit still while I meditate," he told Associated Press news agency.
Mr Yoshikuni said it only took Conan a few days to imitate the motions of praying.
"I think he saw me doing it all the time and got the idea to do it too," he said.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I wonder if the dog is named after 'Conan the Barbarian' An old movie that starred our current govenor, Arnold Swartzenegger?

Eurodog said...

Yes, VV, I love it too. The name is just wonderful as well. I remember the film made long before the Terminator movies which I love.

Anonymous said...

Dogs are extremely clever creatures, I do hope the chihuahua's prayers are answered.

Crystal xx

Whispering Walls said...

What's that around his waist?

Ellee Seymour said...

What a wonderful picture, I don't know how you find so many different interesting canine stories each day.

I thought you might like to know that my post which you alerted me about which highlighted an artist using a dying dog for art has had lots of hits recently, and they are still coming in almost daily, I have no idea why:

http://elleeseymour.com/2007/11/06/how-can-a-dying-dog-be-called-art/

Cornish Dreamer said...

A great story ED, and a lovely picture to go with it.

Flowerpot said...

yes how do you find these amazing stories ED?

Mopsa said...

We both seem to be on a Buddhist mode at the moment (and it's caused my longest ever comment too)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a clever dog. Who can tell if he's meditating or not, though?

Eurodog said...

Thank you all for commenting.
I feel the Buddhist monks in Tibet need our support at the moment.