Friday 9 November 2007

Festival of light


Nepal is celebrating the festival of Tihar, its equivalent of Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights. It is a five day festival and on the second day of the feast, special honour is bestowed on dogs. Today is the second day and it is called Kukur Puja (Dog Worship). Dogs are traditionally seen as the guardian of people’s house as well as that of Yamaraj's ( the Lord of Death ) underworld. On this day, dogs are worshipped and blessed with red Tika on their forehead and a flower garland around their neck. And they receive a special meal.

7 comments:

Whispering Walls said...

I hope they enjoy the feast. Interesting that they share the Roman belief of a dog guarding the underworld. I don't think I'd like to meet the hounds of hell...

jmb said...

Another interesting post Eurodog. I hope they are well treated on all other days too.

Mopsa said...

Now that is a lovely idea - I will mimic with festoons of hay and a banana for Mopsa.

Flowerpot said...

A lovely idea - and I'm so glad there's a new post, ED. That previous one was giving me sleepless nights.

jaypar said...

hello , love to read your blogs

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, I echo what jmb has said.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

That's a lovely idea - not sure what Brown Dog would make of the garland of flowers round his neck, but think it would be great to have a day when we think about our four-legged friends.