Thursday 18 January 2007

Lord Byron's dog

Lord Byron (1788-1824) honoured his beloved Newfoundland with the following inscription on a monument in Newstead Abbey:
'Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains of one
Who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
If inscribed over human ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
Who was born at Newfoundland, May 1803
And died at Newstead, Nov.18th 1808."

3 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for the comment, I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog!! I love dogs so I will be frequenting your blog to see what stories you have to tell. I have a miniature schnauzer and he is the happiest little guy I know...there is nothing like the unconditional love dogs can bring to your life. Welcome to the world of blogging...I'm sure you'll love it.

Ron Southern said...

Well, nice enough, but you need a few more posts! Good luck with it!

Jessica Gottlieb said...

It's a good start.

Me and my 5 pound rat (oops I mean poodle) are waiting with baited breath.

He needs to know how to train me.