Thursday 14 November 2013

Slumdog climbs Everest


An abandoned puppy rescued from a rubbish dump in India has trekked to Everest Base Camp, a height of 17,598ft (5,364m) above sea level.
Its owner told the AFP news agency that they believed that it was the first dog to climb so high on the mountain.
Former professional golfer Joanne Lefson adopted the 11-month-old dog, called Rupee, in the Himalayan Indian town of Leh last September.
The pair began "Expedition Mutt Everest 2013" on 14 October.
The aim was to raise awareness about the plight of homeless dogs and encourage adoption.
The pair traversed wobbly bridges, scaled treacherous mountain paths and narrowly escaped landslides for 13 days.
The dog quickly adjusted to high altitudes and loved the snow. In the course of his travels he was cuddled by Himalayan monks and petted by innumerable children.
"I am so proud of Rupee," Ms Lefson told AFP. "I thought I might have to carry him on some days, but instead, he took the lead and pulled me along."
When she first came across the puppy he was dehydrated and close to death, she said.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I couldn’t seem to find an email. And I really wanted to ask you a question about your dogs?
–Shaye
shayewalsh1@gmail.com

Eurodog said...

Please use the comment box for your doggy question and I shall reply.

Whispering Walls said...

What a sweet face!

ADDY said...

What a lovely story, particularly since I've just lost my best friend now.